Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tambour Door - Fitting Out

I had to search quite a bit, looking for a Tambour Door that would closely match the other doors I have inside the cabin area. It seams as though Sea Ray no longer uses, carries, or stores any spare pieces of the type of Tambour Door that I have. I could however, buy a 4' x 8' sheet for several hundred dollars....... I thought that was ridiculous...
So I ended up finding a wooden Tambour Door on ebay, where else?
It is however 5/16" thick (-3/8"), compared to the original plastic style of 3/16" thick (-1/4").
That means that I couldn't use the standard plastic track either and had to custom make this metal track as well..... Go figure!
Here is how I found the door and the original picture off of ebay.

It was longer and wider than I needed so I had to cut it down and remove the original wooden pull.


After I cut it down, sanded it, and put a finish on it. I also added a new door pull ring which of course matches the others. The door pull took weeks to order and receive through Sea Ray. But it finally came in!
The metal track you sea is the bottom track. (I spell "sea" this way all the time!) The top track remained in place after I fit it in and it did not need to come out for this finishing process.
Click photo for a closer look.

This is the inside of the Tambour Door. Canvas is glued to the back which allows it to rotate and bend around the inside circle of the custom made metal track.

No comments: